/* */ clvn: kindness

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

kindness

I slept at 4a.m.. I was supposed to wake up at at 7:30a.m. - but no, I didn't. Slept to through my alarm clock I did. Or rather, that program that gets iTunes to start playing random songs from my library at an appointed time while I still don't have a phone.

I awaken at 11:30a.m. to the rustling of my roommate getting his stuff from the room. And I'm like WTFBBQ o.O because Tuesday is when I have physics labs from 10-12. And missing labs puts some hurting to your grades. I hurriedly brush my teeth and wash my face, spray some cologne on to cover up my unwashed scent and jog to class.

I get there at 11:40a.m.. My GSI seemed rather startled, but told me he would stay back a little while for me. As I maniacally rushed to get my experiments done - thank God I'm never going to take another chemistry lab section again -, he starts recounting his tale of when he had arrived at a 3 hour final with only 5 minutes left as an undergraduate and his professor graciously gave him an extra hour. Kindness rubs off on people, I guess, and dwells in empathy.

I finish at 12:25p.m.. I seriously expected myself to finish by 12:15p.m. but I got somewhat stuck at the last question. For his part, my GSI was pleased that I had completed that 2 hour lab in 45 minutes. Then, I walk to Terrace Cafe - to get my customary chicken rice bowl and orange juice.

Perhaps it was all the rushing, or me just feeling tired lately - but as I lined up to pay for my meal, my plastic bottle of Minute Maid Orange Juice just slipped from my hands. Apparently, the bottle is flimsy enough that such a fall is enough to crack apart the cap. Half the contents of my bottle spilled unto the floor.

*Damn* I do like my orange juice. Plus, I sort of delude myself into thinking that drinking more of it will make up for my general dislike of fruits. I step up to pay for my meal, and o.O the lady at the counter has someone give me a new bottle of orange juice. Really made me smile. Last semester, I remember getting coffee and a bagel from that lady every other morning. I've grown too indolent to have such breakfasts any more.

p.s.

I watched Stephen Hawking lecture today. The Zellerbach hall was sold out, and as I hear, so was the Wheeler Auditorium where they put the overflow crowds. It was interesting perhaps, Stephen Hawking sounds like my MacBook, the sound profile 'Bruce' , and he made jokes. But I do wish there was a more dynamic lecturer-audience interaction and more technical material. I didn't learn anything new.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you Crazy? Songs aren't going to wake you up!

Eu Choon said...

my songs can

Anonymous said...

LOL

Anw, little bits of kindness can make a day, no? :p

Take care take care! Alws a joy to read that you're doing well on the other side of the Atlantic :)

kookaburra said...

haha.. the "p.s." on stephen hawking was funny, i have to say...
and yea, that's the truth.. he *does sound like a MacBook. lol...